Marathon Training: Week 9

Last week was week 9 of marathon training and a recovery week for us on the training plan! Our coaches have us doing two weeks of build up and then one cut back week to let the body recover and adapt from all the hard work.

I meant to post this earlier in the week, but didn't sit down to finish it until now. We are in the hotel room in Sisters ready for the Peterson Ridge Rumble with my mom and little brother. Temps look like they'll be in the low 30's when the race starts -- brrr.

For new parents out there: suites are the way to go. We were actually able to put H down at a decent time and then stay out in the common area to hang out until we're ready to go to bed. Woohoo! Now on to last week's training...

Monday - 4 miles @ 9:27 avg (easy) // Neighborhood run with daylight!

Tuesday - 8 miles @ 9:09 avg + Jasyoga recovery yoga // For some reason, doing 8 (vs 7) miles before the day really starts feels extra hard core. On these longish morning runs, I've been doing a bit of the race course, which is a pretty section and helps me feel a little more prepared for the marathon.

This week, we had a few sunny days, so Henry and I took advantage and got outside with little walks and a trip to the park.

On a mission

Looking for the airplane

Wednesday - 4.25 miles @ 9:10 avg (stroller run) + 40 min weights & core // Nice and easy for this run. Just trying to stay consistent with strength, so Wednesdays are my required strength day (+Fri or Sat). I've been focusing on working the glutes and making sure they're firing, core and throwing some arm work in there.

Thursday - 7 miles, workout: 1 mi warm up, 4 x 2K (alternating first 1/2 mile @ marathon goal pace (mgp), 1/4 mile @ close to 5K pace, 1/2 mile @ mgp), 1 mi cool down // Because I was scheduled to work at the store until almost 6:00 p.m., I didn't want to chance missing the Flyers speed workout. So instead, I did this workout solo before the manfriend headed to work. Thank goodness for light these days on my morning runs!

For most of my repeats, I was close to my assigned paces for these intervals (4:17 for the 1/2 mile and 1:53 for the 1/4 mile). Actual splits: 4:01, 1:52, 4:16, 4:17, 1:47, 4:09, 4:16, 2:00, 4:10, 4:17, 1:54, 4:20

Friday - 3.1 miles easy @ 8:57 avg (stroller run) // *This was supposed to be a rest day, but...Pete had Friday off and the sun was out, so he headed out for a longer run. Meanwhile, I couldn't resist running on a gorgeous morning and took the little man to the river path for a casual run. We made a few stops to look at birds and the river and then playtime at the park.



Saturday - 40 min weight lifting + 25 min Jasyoga // I knew strength training would make me sore for my long run, but I like to get in a minimum of two days a week of strength training, so it was now or never!

Sunday - 12 mi long run w/ speed work // Because I was one week out from the Peterson Ridge Rumble, my run was slightly shorter than others, but I still wanted to get in goal pace work. I ended up doing 3 miles easy, 8 miles @ mgp (8:20-8:40s), 1 mile easy. I'll admit I was a bit disappointed by this run. The goal pace miles felt much harder than they should have, but I pushed through regardless (despite having a high heart rate).

Sunrise runs = the best


How did this week feel? 
Looking at my stats, my heart rate was, for the most part, lower this week and my body appreciated having a bit less mileage to do (38 vs 44 the previous week).

I was happy with Thursday's workout, but then bummed that Sundays long run felt so hard. Blah. You win some, you lose some.

Okay, time to wind it down for the evening! I'm excited for tomorrow's race. It's such a different mind set when you're just planning on enjoying a race rather than pushing as hard as you can go. 

Comments

I think it makes sense that your long run felt harder since you did strength training the day before. I am sure you were a bit fatigued and that impacted your pace. Try not to let that bother you although that is easier said than done when you are type A like we are!! I loved those step back weeks. It's nice to build, build, and then step back.

Your marathon is coming so quickly! I was thinking it was later in the month of May - didn't know it was that first weekend! I am sure you will do great at the marathon and no matter what happens on the course, you need to be really proud of yourself for training for a race with a little one at home!

I hope the race today is fun and that you don't get too cold! I do love how laid back trail races are!
Jessica Jarrell said…
Congrats on your training and the race, I saw you guys had run on FaceBook. I have to admit, shamefully, that I haven't commented on your training out of jealousy. It's hard to sit on the sidelines when you want to run. I can't imagine the sense of accomplishment that comes with completing a marathon, it must be amazing. I just wanted to say good job, although I know it's not your first 😃
Michelle said…
I'm with you: love my early morning runs! Do you normally work at the store on Thursdays?

Popular Posts