Marathon Training: Week 10

Welp, here we are again. Let's cruise back to the week of the Peterson Ridge Rumble (April 3-9), shall we? And then I'll post my Peterson Ridge Rumble recap by Sunday of this week. 

Currently, I'm trying to kick a cold that Henry got and quickly passed on to me. With just two weeks until the Eugene Marathon, having a cold isn't one of the things I'd like to be doing, but alas, it happened. All of a sudden, sleep is becoming a priority. 

So, how about that training, eh?

Monday - 6.16 mi @ 9:15 avg // Nice and easy. There's something relaxing about Monday runs because I'm just getting over the soreness of the previous weekend's long run and there's no pressure to go fast.

Tuesday - 8.25 mi team workout: warm up, 3mi (marathon goal pace), 3 min rest, 2mi (perfect day mgp), 3 min rest, 1mi (10-5K pace), cool down // During a lot of my mgp workouts, I haven't nailed them. I've gone much faster, which I'm not sure benefited my body in feeling out that marathon pace. So this time, I was intentional about running by feel and not looking at my watch much. My mile splits: 8:31, 8:36, 8:28, 8:17, 8:11, 7:22

Watch selfie. Sometime, I should actually ask someone to take a photo of me. ;)

Wednesday - 4.8 @ 8:47 avg // Stroller run. Managed to miss the rain. Speedy friends always make you go faster -- whew.

Thursday - 7 mi @ 9:10 avg + ReCharge recovery // Total slogfest through the rain. As I headed out on this run, my legs were really not feeling it. They felt like logs and my heart rate was especially high that morning. Alas, I pushed through.

I worked at the running store this day and my boss encouraged me to head to ReCharge before Sunday's race, so I headed over there for some time in the Normatec compression boots for hips and legs followed by the infrared sauna.

Friday - rest day, Jasyoga // When I can fit it in, I'm trying to do the extra little things that can make a difference in your training. This time, that means fitting in foam rolling and Jasyoga videos, which are essentially purposeful yoga stretches aimed at helping runners recover faster or warm up specific aspects of the body prior to a run (i.e. hamstrings and glutes for me).

And sometimes, that means attempting to do your stretching, while a toddler lays on top of you.


Saturday - 1.7 mi @ 8:44 avg // Quick shakeout run. After getting most of our things packed up for the race, I headed out the door for a quick run before we headed over to Central Oregon. And then Pete headed out for his quick shakeout when I got home.

Our drive over the pass was good. H slept for almost an hour and we made a quick stop at Sahalie Falls both for the bathroom and a quick peek.



Sunday - Peterson Ridge Rumble! 20 mi @ 9:55 avg // Beautiful day. Cold (30F) at the start, but clear. I'll post a race recap in the next few days, but this race was hard, fun and successful. Third time's a charm because I did NOT fall on the course this time. Oh and my glutes hurt from probably mile 4 on because hello, rolling hills and the fact that I did about 4.5 long runs on the trail and zero midweek miles on hilly trails. Something to work on for next time, eh?!

Pre race puffies

Overall, the week felt good despite my heart rate seeming a little off on a few runs. At 48 miles total, this was my highest mileage training week for the cycle so far.

Stay tuned for my Peterson Ridge Rumble recap and to hear how recovery from the 20 miler went!

Is everyone else experiencing some glorious spring weather? We're getting teased by an almost 70 degree day tomorrow (followed by 9 straight days of rain in the forecast).

Comments

Congrats on completing Peterson Ridge! Your pace sounds great considering how hard the course is and the fact that training for trails hasn't been your focus this training season! Love the waterfall photo. Did Henry get a haircut? He looks more and more like a toddler/little boy these days!!

I love the pants you are wearing in the stretching photo - it looks like Henry is tackle-hugging you. Ha.

We have not experience glorious spring weather but this weekend is supposed to be nice! I have a garden work day this morning for my community garden plot so can't wait to get outside and play in the dirt!

Popular Posts